Historic Golf Courses
The National Park Service owns three public golf courses in the District of Columbia: East Potomac Golf Course, Rock Creek Park Golf Course, and Langston Golf Course. Between 1918 and 1948, the federal government built seven public golf courses and three miniature golf courses in Washington, DC, an investment in the recreational infrastructure of the capital city and a recognition of the rise in popularity of golf.
The East Potomac Park Golf Course was primarily built between 1918 and 1931, with substantial alterations throughout the twentieth century. It includes one 18-hole course, two 9-hole courses, a driving range, three putting/pitching greens, and a miniature golf course. The East Potomac Park Golf Course and the miniature golf course were listed in the National Register of Historic Places as contributing resources to the East and West Potomac Parks Historic District (listed in 1973; updated in 2001).
The Rock Creek Golf Course was constructed as a 9-hole course between 1921 and 1923, and expanded to 18 holes between 1924 and 1926. The course is part of Rock Creek Park and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing resource to the Rock Creek Park Historic District in 1991.
The Langston Golf Course, located in Anacostia Park, is an 18-hole course originally built specifically for African American golfers. The course's front 9 opened in 1939, and the course was expanded to 18 holes between 1953 and 1955. The Langston Golf Course Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.